“It’s with a heavy heart that I write to you today, for we have lost a great friend and performer, Keith Pitzer. Keith passed on this morning after a courageous fight with cancer. His wife Joan, and his four grown sons mourn the loss of their loved one, as do I, Bobbi, and anyone who knew Keith.” -- Pops Walker
This is the opening paragraph from a letter written by Keith's friend and our podcast composer, Pops Walker. Written on December 22, the day Keith passed, it is how many of us first learned the news. Keith was not only a friend of this podcast, but he was a friend of our organization as well.
I thought for today’s special double-sized podcast it would be nice to speak with Pops in tribute to Keith. I wanted to get Pops' perspective on Keith the man and hear about his tireless work with Friends of the Cheat, and also hear of his skill as a musician. We'll also hear some of the outtakes from my interview with him last June, including some of the amazing music he made alongside his wife Joan.
DOWNLOAD (Right click and Save Link Target As)
West Virginia Writers Podcast Episode 24
LINKS FOR THIS PODCAST
- Keith & Joan’s website
- Keith & Joan on MySpace
- Keith & Joan Pitzer's CDs
- Falling Mountain Music
- Friends of Cheat
- Pops Walker.com
- Keith Pitzer Memorial Celebration Information
- Pops' Letter Regarding Keith
- Keith on Podcast Episode 9
- West Virginia Highlands Voice blog
- Dominion Post article about Keith by Michelle Wolford
- VIDEO: Keith, Joan and their son Jake playing as "String Fever"
- Andrew McKnight's blog entry about Keith